How does an electric fence work?
Back to basics
Electric fence systems are a simple loop. An energiser emits power that is carried by fencing wires. The wires are supported by plastic insulator rods (which prevent power being lost into the ground) and connect back to the energiser.
When an animal comes into contact with a wire they get an unpleasant but harmless shock that’s conducted through their body to the ground and back to the energiser’s earth stakes, which are placed deep in the soil.
Get the earthing right
If earth stakes are not placed correctly in the soil, the electric fence will not work. They need to be placed as deep as possible in the ground where the soil is damp. If the earthing is poor the power will ‘trickle away’ and not flow back to the energiser, there is no closed circuit and the animal will not get a shock.
10 Tips for Perfect Fencing
- Make sure the earthing is at least 1m deep
- Don’t use broken fence wire
- Use conductive material with low resistance
- Don’t tie conductive plastic wires together. Use connectors
- Keep your fence free from growth. It can impair the power output
- Weather-beaten insulators cause a high loss of output
- Keep the fence wire and earthing rod free from rust
- Use high voltage-resistant wire to make the connection between the energiser and fencing as strong as possible
- Check the battery in battery-driven energisers regularly
- Use a voltage tester to ensure the fence is carrying a minimum of 2000v at each point
Suitable for fencers up to 0.8J
Wire Height Guide
Not sure what fence height is right for you? Here's what we recommend.
A handy guide to insulator posts distances to make sure fences don't hang too low.
Fending wire and twines 6-8m distance depending on the weight of the fence material Tapes: 3m for 40mm tape and 5m for 20mm tape. Use 6-8m for 12.5mm tape. Ropes:
4m with 7-8mm rope diemeters and 6m with 5-6mm rope diameters.
Important Notice: We normally deliver between 2 and 4 days depending on the delivery option you choose. Unfortunatelty, due to the lockdown circumstances we cannot guarantee delivery within these timeframes and your dispatch may take up to 10 working days.
Our standard shipping rate is £4.75 for orders weighing under 5kg for England, Wales and most of Scotland with FREE Shipping on Orders Over £60 (unless your order weighs over 20kg). Check your postcode to see if your region falls within our standard shipping rate. The shipping cost will be automatically added to your grand total below.
For a full breakdown of our shipping rates read here.
If you no longer wish to keep your purchase, you must inform us in writing within 14 days of accepting delivery. There will be a cost to collect the item, please see full return details.
Unfortunately we cannot accept returns of certain types of products, such as respirator masks and face masks, for health and safety reasons.